Friday, May 31, 2013

Nebraska Trip!

A while ago my sister Shauna asked if I would take some photos of her and her family. My mom and I drove up on the 19th with Evie. It was pretty brave of us to take a 13 hour road trip with an 11 month old, but it turned out just fine! Evie was an angel the whole time. We just kept her occupied with snacks, Blues Clues, and plenty of great music.

The first day of driving was pretty rough for me. I was a little stressed to begin with, and then traffic was HORRIBLE through Round Rock and Dallas. We came across 3 major accidents between Austin and the Oklahoma border. I get major road rage when it comes to stop and go traffic. I'm impatient.

In Dallas we had a slight hiccup - We made a wrong turn, but just stopped to get some gas since we were off course anyway. I got the gas pumped and my mom took Evie inside to change her diaper. There was no changing table inside so my mom began to change her diaper in the back seat of the car. There was an empty space next to us so my mom was able to have the door wide open until someone tried to pull into that spot. My mom shut the door - but not all the way. Then I heard the locks lock. I thought we were safe because the door wasn't shut all the way, but it had locked anyway. GUESS WHO HAD THE KEYS? My baby who was inside the car had the keys. She grabbed them when she saw the door close.

I was panicking, and Evie was having a great time in the back seat playing with the keys and spilling Froot Loops all over the place. I tried to tell her to press the "unlock" button, but who the heck was I kidding? She's a baby. She just smiled at me and kept playing.



A crowd started to form around our car. Embarrassing. I called 911 and they were out there with a firetruck within minutes. They used the jaws of life to get that car open and it was all over. The little stinker was just fine, and was laughing and smiling. I'm glad she had fun though, if she would have been crying I would have been really worried. I'm also thankful that it wasn't too hot outside.


Once we made it out of Texas into Oklahoma, we had some tornado warnings! The closer we got to Oklahoma City, the scarier the skies looked. One side of the road was blue skies and tame, and the other was BLACK. We turned the radio on to a news station and listened in. There was a tornado in Shawnee about 20 miles from where we were. I was driving and scared that we were going to come face to face with the tornado. I thought about stopping somewhere in town instead of trying to drive all the way to Wichita where even more tornadoes were heading. I kept going though. This was May 19th. I was driving past Moore, Oklahoma when I contemplated this. On May 20th is when the tornado hit Moore. SO CRAZY. I'm glad I decided to keep going.

We made it to Wichita at 9pm. End of day one.

1 comment:

Jared and Brielle Rucks said...

My goodness whatan exciting trip! S glad you didn't stop sooner! And I'm really glad evie was okay in the car. The little stink!